Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Wed Oct 19 2005 04:52 PM
Max Mayfield's Comments from about an Hour ago...

Were the most obvious sign that I've seen that we are looking at a very bad scenario with Wilma...regardless of where she ends up making landfall.
Maybe I have missed it in the past, but I have never seen the director of the NHC actually hold a press conference. Here are some of the comments I picked up on, and those in the "cone" need to heed what he had to say:

1) He doesn't expect this to be a Cat 5 at landfall. He was talking about a Cat 3 or even *possibly* a Cat IV at landfall.
2) There is a "significant risk for loss of life" along the impact area.
3) Storm surge could well be as high as 25', causing catastrophic damage along the western Florida peninsula. Some wave models are predicting 50'+ waves in the Keys.
4) Because of the size of the storm, a large area of Florida will be under the gun, incluing the SE part of Florida.
5) He mentioned that either his daughter OR grandaughter is Homecoming Queen and that dance is set for Saturday night. He told her that there is a "good possibility that dance will not be held." She wasn't happy.
6) That EVERYONE IN THE CONE...INCLUDING TB south needs to be paying very close attention because it is likely that the "model guidance will shift" again...and again he mentioned the "west coast of Florida.
7) When a dimbulb reporter asked him if he was "concerned about what effects Wilma will have on wildlife in the Everglades", he almost looked dumbfounded and asked her to repeat the question, which she did. His answer?
"I am much more concerened about what effect the storm will have on HUMAN lives in the Everglades than I am about the wildlife at this time."

I can't even remember a time when any director of the NHC actually held a press conference to discuss the impacts a storm will have. We usually see them for breif periods of time during interviews with local and national mets. I think he's trying to get the word out: GET OUT if you are told to get out.
I believe we will be hearing from Governer Bush in the coming hours.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center