typhoon_tip
(Meteorologist)
Wed Oct 19 2005 08:19 PM
Re: Wilma Continued

Quote:

As it relates to intertia, a storm doesnt really suffer intertia from starts and stops. I agree with the concept of a moving car and stop and go, where you get a whip lash effect, but it never comes to a really comes to an abrupt hault. I have seen eye walls become displaced, but usually motion is only one part of the scenario.

...i'm aware of that...
that's why i was wondering what the individual meant...
i like the analogy of hurricanes are like logs in a river...
suppose you place a light weight log on the banks of a moving river and give it a shove out into the current...after some interval of time, the log's direction from the shove begins to yield to the perpedicular motion of the water; the result, if you plot the change on a two dimensional surface it makes a curved motion.
if you take an even heavier log and shove it into the same river (having the same rate of perpendicular fluid flow) the heavier log will have more momentum and thus be carried farther out into the current before it begins to yield to the perpendicular flow. a graphical presentation of its rate of change in direction will be a slower acceleration.
by the coincidence the analogy works in that strong hurricanes have more resistence to direction changes in the steering field because they can 'create their own environment' (not my words). they too have a slower accelaration.

come to think of it...could be a partial reason for the erratic 12z guidance, becuase the initial trigger for pulling Wilma up may no longer be sufficient to doing the deed, and she therefore is getting left behind... if so, fascinating feed-back scenario!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center