TomKuhn
(Registered User)
Wed Oct 19 2005 11:45 PM
My Rant

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to get an issue I have off my chest. As a follower of this site for two years, I want to say thank you for all the great, informative information given. I always know that I can turn to this site for real information and analysis of any weather systems that could be a threat to human life. No one is always right, and no one is always wrong, but the sharing of information between one another in a public forum is more powerful and informative than any weatherman's prediction available. Just try posting in the National Electric Code Forum(NEC) for an example of this the type of secretive, non idea sharing, close minded people. That does not happen here, as everone has a voice. Thank you again.

Onto the meat...

The issue that really troubles me is the local new media and their "I know Everything" attitude. As a local in Orlando, this morning I got bombarded by the "know it all weatherman", who tells me (And every other listener) "This is going to be a South Florida Event...we will get rain and some wind...", or other nonsense that leaves people with an undue sense of confidence that this storm will NOT be knocking on their back doors in a weeks time. This in turn causes a lack of preparedness that is needed by everyone. This mornings newcast had Wilma's track plotted out all the way passed the Bahamas and up the east coast (The latest GFDL model would have suprised them). There was an assuring tone in the voice that Central Florida would be spared any destruction. I am not asking for weather people to be completely vague, but let the listener know "...This is the current MODELED projected path...it could change...Watch the cone...We do not know everything..."

Thats it,

Tom

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center