Hugh
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Thu Oct 20 2005 12:52 AM
Re: Wilma Continued

Quote:

It definitely is going to be east of the first point. And if you xtrap to the next one, it will be east of that one also. It definitely appears to be moving more northwest at the moment. Also appears to have sped up slightly. Looking at IR the dark blackish color is appearing again near center. Could this be another intensification?

The dark blackish area is coming and going by the half hour. I've been wondering about that. Is there any shear in the area at all? Seems like a dumb question, as shear would likely weaken this thing beyond the unreal realm that it has been in since 2:30am ET, but something is causing the cloud tops to warm almost immediately after they cool. Overall, however, the cloud pattern is better than it was 2-3 hours ago. The eye has almost completely disappeared, though. Could this still be the ERC, which appeared to me to have ended? Based strictly on the lack of a strong eye, I'd say we're looking at a "weak" cat 5 or a "strong" cat 4 storm currently - 150-160 mph winds, but I could be way off.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center