Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Thu Oct 20 2005 01:35 PM
Re: Movement

Lake Toho pointed out the the NOGAPS has been consistent with a "south of Tampa" hit for the last 3 days. If the GFS and GFDL are shifting further north...and yes, Stuart would be further north) then I think we need to pay attention. I believe that those are the 3 most reliable models. I think I remember a storm last year (or it could have been this year) where the outlier was actually the CORRECT model; so it's happened before.
Look at it this way: consistency is the key. We have one (which has been called the outlier) model that has been consistent for 3 days, maybe 4 now. The other two were in line until a fluke yesterday, but the runs are now coming into line with a further north movement...not sure if they have been doing that for just one run or two.
We have seen too many times where the track has shifted a little left, then a little right, then back again to trust any forecasted path right now. That's why we're in a "cone".
If I remember correctly, Ivan was supposed to hit Jamaica, but missed it; hit Cuba but went below it, we all know what happened. And, as alluded to by a prior poster, look at what happened with Rita...it went from hitting Mexico to making landfall in Port Arthur, Texas.
To rule out any portion of the state is ridiculous. Right *now*, this very minute, some areas are in more danger than others. But we are 3 days out and to say that any other areas in FL can "breath a sigh of relief" is not only silly, it's downright irresponsible.
IMHO, I think that it will be a very close call for Cancun and Cozumel, but I don't think it's going to plow into the Yucatan Peninsula. I think it will graze it and then move north, then NE. I don't see a scenario which would have it making a very sharp right hand turn (ENE). I'm not sure that is possible with a storm as large as Wilma.
Please keep in mind, that the above statement is only my opinion, not a forecast.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center