zacker20
(Weather Watcher)
Thu Oct 20 2005 03:31 PM
Re: Wilma

This new track having the storm interact with the Yucatan pennisula is VERY good news for Florida. We may be looking at a strong Cat 1/Cat 2 storm now at landfall, which will be significantly weaker than forecasted. Or it could possibly even stall out on the Yucatan and then we would just be looking at a rain event by the time the trough accerelates it towards the pennisula.

Based on the latest IR imagery, Wilma is still heading in a general West-Northwest direction and I believe she will continue on this motion for the next 6-12 hours. This will have her making landfall just south of Cozumel, Mexico. I believe she will spend more time in the Yucatan pennisula (she won't just brush it) and I would not be surprised if the NHC shifts the track farther to the left, where Wilma will cut across much of the eastern half of the pennisula. As I look at the imagery, I see no northerly component or northwestern turn in her motion. In fact she jogs a little more to the west in the last few frames. This is turning out to be a good scenario for Florida, but a horrid one for Mexico and the residents of the Yucatan. They are looking at a strong Cat 4/5 landfall in the next 12-24 hours.

If this scenario verifies, Wilma will make landfall a little further to the north on pennisula (I don't believe the turn will be that sharp, more of a North-Northeastward motion), but what kind of storm will she be at that time? It's very possible she will be a minimal Category 1 or even a Tropical Storm after interacting with the Yucatan.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center