Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Fri Oct 21 2005 06:45 AM
Re: On Wave heights

Couldn't sleep.

That's the one I saw the next day, reviewing that buoy info after Ivan.

Well the dry air is getting really close in to the eye, on the west side, and in fact breached the eyewall for a short time (dvorak IR 0515Z).

Also it looked like the eye was going to go a little to the east of the next forecast point, so I reviewed the steering layer data and it had changed a little bit, allowing a slightly more northern movement (just for now). Don't know how long that'll last or what's driving it, because I haven't been really looking at any of that stuff.

However a small change like that in the track could mean a great deal to Cozumel and Cancun, if the eye went just to the east. But that would not be in time I think to help Wilma intensify because the dry air will continue to have a big impact, even if she finds water a little warmer and deeper to the east.

But she is moving slower and slower, and really it is starting to look like she isn't going anywhere for awhile. If that's the case, she may be able to overcome the dry air and rebuild the west side of the circulation.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center