tpratch
(Moderator)
Fri Oct 21 2005 02:59 PM
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula

I think it's likely that is the beginning of an ERC, although it will take some time before it manifests. If I remember from Katrina, land can interrupt these quite nicely leading towards a highly disorganized storm.

Perhaps the models showing it dissipating and never regaining a core aren't out to lunch afterall?

I have to throw in that I do not believe Wilma can stall for the next day or two. It's likely she'll continue her brush with the Yucatan and may make it as high as Cat 5 before entering the GOM and more-hostile conditions.

If you're on the West coast of Florida, it doesn't hurt to be prepared. I'm not saying rush out, board up and leave now - what I am saying is get your tools ready to board (you can always put them back), get supplies ready to leave (you can always pack them in short order), and monitor your local emergency management broadcasts for any evacuation orders. There's a range of Cat 4 to TS at landfall from North of Tampa down to the everglades. It will not get any more specific until Wilma enters the GOM and starts the march towards us at increased forward speed.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center