typhoon_tip
(Meteorologist)
Fri Oct 21 2005 04:28 PM
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula

Quote:

I don't know if I'd call an experience like that "remarkable".... more like "where's my spare underwear!"

I have to wonder if any part of the island is still above water. The surge had to be horiffic with the wind-driven waves on top of it. We took 10 footers in the bay during Ivan, which broke against the retaining wall for my pool. On the gulf it was an entirely different matter - I saw the damage afterward, with some second-floor condos that had a foot of sand in them (!)

Being stuck on the island, as I understand a significant number of people are, leaves one wondering if they're still there..... let's hope so....

yeah, well....it's easy to cast out all these menageries in horror but the truth is, we have no idea what they are going through - just to hone that...

some of the most beautiful beaches in this hemisphere are on that eastern coast of the Yucatan and Islands and the esthetic cost will be staggering... I mean, they were getting 35 foot wave this morning before the eyewall wind and surge came in there... Haven't heard any reports from the Island but the damage could conceivably approach category 5 because of duration. So, beyond the immediate enormity of what is likely taking place, unyielding there, the erosion is just going to be incredible.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center