3rdGenFlaNative
(Registered User)
Sat Oct 22 2005 03:11 AM
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Can't tell you all how much I appreciate everyone here at this forum. I've been monitoring since mid-season last year (and what a year it was!). Feel like I've learned SO MUCH, and it's only made me eager for more info. In my quest to educate myself on this subject however, I just can’t seem to decipher all the numbers on some of the reports and technical images. Many of the contributors to this forum seem to have a solid working knowledge of the field, and I feel like I’m missing out on some of the data being used to form your opinions. Is anyone aware of a good, well-rounded source (preferably online) that provides basic explanation and instruction in understanding some of the more intricate tools? I’ve poked around on this site, and gathered much useful information, but haven’t found exactly what I’m looking for. If it is here and I’ve missed it, please forgive me, and thank you for all the help!

I’m in Lakeland with husband & kids, have a father in a mobile home in Lake Wales, and a nephew in Port Charlotte. We all got our fill of hurricanes last year and, as you can imagine, are watching Wilma closely. We are as prepared as we can be, but this waiting is maddening! And it seems that whatever we might hope for in sparing still-shellshocked Floridians from more trauma only causes even greater devastation to someone else! I’m very concerned for our neighbors in Cozumel. Can’t get them off my mind.

Hurricane watching is most definitely addictive, IF you can handle the emotional roller-coaster! It's difficult to reconcile all the feelings you experience as you watch these storms develop – the beauty and thrill of watching nature at it’s most powerful, coupled with the anxiety and concern that build when you realize that soon someone’s life (maybe yours or someone you love!) will be forever changed.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center