TinaB
(Verified CFHC User)
Sun Oct 23 2005 02:54 AM
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida

Quote:

OK, time for my question.

I'm in Central Palm Beach Co.
I'm going to get it, without question.

I measured on a computer map, and the shoreline due west is about 100mi

If the hurricane field is 100mi from center, and I am 100mi from the west coast, would that mean that if it lands with a CAT 2 ("landing" means eye coming ashore, right?), that would mean that I would have a CAT 2 here.

Correct?

Or is it reasonable to assume that some strength with be lost due to land friction?

Wow....Florida seems so small at the moment

They way I understand it is the highest winds are usually concentrated right around the eye wall. So if hurricane force winds extend out 100 miles from the center then a location 100 mi from the center would experiences winds of at least 74 MPH but not necessarily to Cat 2 strength. Make sense?

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center