Sneakbridge
(Verified CFHC User)
Sun Oct 23 2005 03:43 AM
Highlands Co

We are expected to get Hurricane force winds here in Highlands county. (A little NW of the big lake!) I put up shutters today. When you have them made already, you might as well go through the drill of putting them up when a storm apporaches! I did not see a lot of others preparing in our area. I helped a couple of my new teachers get plywood for their houses. Home depot was busy, but I wouldn't say packed and there was plenty of material in stock. I think most people's attitude is that if it is coming, get here and get it over with. THey'd prefer it not to come, but the wait is sometimes bad too. That being said, I can't imagine what they went through down in Cancun.

As it was just stated, it isn't just how strong the winds are, but how long the winds are there. So 10 hours of 75mph winds might cause more damage than 1hr of 100 mph winds... Is there any study or formula along these lines to help predict the damage an area will see?

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center