typhoon_tip
(Meteorologist)
Mon Oct 24 2005 12:00 AM
Re: Shear

Quote:

I just checked the Nexrad Wind Profilers in Southern Florida.
Key West-max of 78kts at 19000ft.
Miami- max of 45kts at 20000ft.
Tampa-max of 58kts at 45000ft.

All of the current winds on the profilers appear to be unidirectional.
Dr Greg Forbes at TWC just displayed One front as Stationary from North of Ft Myers to the Melbourne area.
With SE winds on the south side of the front and NE winds on the North side. Combined with Wilma's wind field this is probably the setup for the spin associated with the Tornado Warnings.

00Z Soundings aren't in as of yet.
12Z soundings from Key West indicated a helicity of near 150m/s/s., and Tampa's helicity was near 100m/s/s.
(I hope I got the m/s/s correct~danielw)

Hi DanielW... I wrote this in a post earlier in this thread and I believe the reasoning is still quite valid:
It's the extraordinary SRH - Storm Relative Halicity - that is in the area associated with that boundary... Winds across the horizontal depth of the surface trough are backing S to N, from the SSE to the ENE... Compounding, you still have to deal with the conservation of angular momentum by land falling hurricanes, and the local spin ups... Basically what you got there are over-lapping mechanics for twisters... Could be an interesting night; could almost envision tornado swarms...[\i]

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center