trinibaje
(Weather Guru)
Tue Oct 25 2005 03:43 PM
Re: Hurricane Wilma Damage in South Florida

Hi.. i am at work right now.... somehow my office building manage to have electricity... (go figure )

Wilma was more than i thought she would be for us in Southern Dade County.... not that i wasn't prepared, just that i hadn't experienced anything like that since Andrew. I live near country walk and the front side of the storm came through around 7 am... my hurricane shutters peeled off and the windows started flexing ... It was me and my grandma and I thought the windows were not going to make it... we huddled in what i call my safe room (a powder room with no windows) Everything was fine.. lost couple of barrel tiles on the roof (need a roofer pm me ) and our fence is down, along with all our neighbors.

There are 18 out of 2600 working street lights here in Dade County, needless to say driving is a mess. There is a curfew in effect from 8 pm - 6 am... until further notice.

I work on Brickell and i see many building with windows blown out.. Brickell Avenue is under water and part of it is closed. Gas is very hard to find. 95% of the county is currently without electricity.

I want to say thank you to the moderators and posters of this board who kept me sane until i lost power. Special thank you to Danny who encouraged me to put the shutters up, although many of them came down....

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center