WeatherNLU
(Meteorologist)
Mon Mar 26 2007 07:58 AM
Hope to back this year!

Hey guys! Hopefully now I can actually be around this year. Obviously the rest of the '05 season was a blur and then last hurricane season I was knee deep for most of it re-building the house and THANKFULLY it was quiet!! Here's a little update as to how things are going:

Well after a miserable 18 months, things are finally looking up. Most of the work to my house is done (we moved back in on June 22, 2006) and have spent a lot of time gardening, replacing things outside for the kids, re-soding the lawn and things of that nature since then. We're acutally back into a livable routine and have probably 60% of the people back on our street. Still the damage is done.......we just finally got Burger King and Popeye's and McDonald's has been open the longest about 5 months now I guess. Still, other than that and local mom and pop restaurants that's the bulk of the business that has returned. Home Depot came back of course, and is making about $1 million a day! No Wal-Mart, no Sears, no K-Mart, nothing like that.....they've all deserted us. It make things a little harder, but mostly depressing. Now on to the good news. I'd say roughly 22,000-25,000 of the 67,000 residents here in St. Bernard are back for good. Another 5,000-10,000 are probably working on their homes and living eslewhere for now. I think we will be back to around 50% of the pre-Katrina population by the two year mark. It would be even faster if the state could get the money to the people. The school enrollment is amazing.

Pre-Katrina: 8,800
Re-opened AMAZINGLY in November 2005 only 11 weeks after Katrina: 334
December 2005: 640
February 2006: 1700
May 2006: 2350
August 2006: 3000+

There are now some 3,800 students back and they fully expect 4,500 to 5,000 by the opening of the 2007-08 school year in August. The super of the schools, a lady that was there when I was in school won the JFK Profiles in Courage Award for basically telling FEMA to go fly a kite and getting a school open 11 weeks after it was under 11 feet of water from Katrina. My daughter goes to elementary school in a high school campus with 68 classrooms that weren't enough. They added 9 trailers with 8 classrooms each and they have 2,100 kids there. It's really heart-warming the school situation.

Anyway, enough of my rambling about stuff most of you all don't care about anyway! Maybe if anyone gives a hoot I will post the video of the re-building of my home. It's pretty cool, and goes from what it looked like when we pulled up for the first time to the re-building stage, to what it looks like now. I just need to figure out how to compress it!!

Hope to see you guys a lot on here this season talking about how no one is in DANGER AT ALL!!!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center