Hugh
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Wed May 09 2007 03:24 AM
Re: subtropical storm andrea

Quote:

You are not crazy. I've seen that before. I think they have multiple, load balanced, servers and for some reason their content is not always in sync.

My guess is that the NHC, right or wrong, is not going to name this system at this point unless there is some major increase in intensity which I don't think is going to happen. This is one of those borderline systems that is hard to define. What I don't understand is why a non tropical system is not considered dangerous.

Bill

The NHC pulled the Special Tropical Disturbance Statement shortly before 5pm as well, but only to update it and replace it a few minutes later. They did the same thing at 11pm. As far as the consideration of this thing being dangerous or not, that's not the issue - no one is questioning that it is dangerous, which is why the National Weather Service offices have issued various high wind warnings, gale warnings, etc. The NHC is not issuing advisories because it's not their job to warn the public about a non-tropical entity.

Now, as for the debate about whether NHC *should* consider this a tropical or sub-tropical entity, that's a matter for some debate. Right now it does not look very tropical to me, but six hours ago, I was thinking NHC would pull the trigger by now.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center