cieldumort
(Moderator)
Fri May 11 2007 02:19 PM
Re: Friday Morning

Yes, Vineyard. While I am not awake-enough to recall for you the numerous examples of "dead" named systems that have flared back to life, they have, indeed, been numerous. Perhaps one that always stands out in my mind as one of the _most striking_ examples of such a re-awakening is Hurricane Ivan. Read more about him here and here , for example.

In regards to that one 40k topped tower of overnight... things actually look better for Andrea now than Thursday afternoon. This morning I awake to see a healthy ball of convection nearly right over the lower level center. If anything, Andrea strikes me far more like a struggling Tropical Depression, than a dissipating Sub tropical Depression, this morning. Notice the small but healthier and somewhat more concentrated and concentric rainbands that have persisted now for a few hours visible from the Melbourne radar sight? These features are much, much more tropical-like than subtropical.

She's over a warmer fetch of the Gulf Stream at this point. Wind shear once again seems low, and there now appears to be less dry air to ingest. A few more hours of this kind of activity, and especially if they get some buoy and/or ship data coming in that suggests winds are also picking up and pressures are dropping once again, they will certainly have to restart advisories. Too close to land not to.

I always say never write-off a so-called "dead" tropical or subtropical entity. If nothing else, they can now behave like a tropical wave or other such TC precursor for the next system. A smashing example of this is how TD10 in 2005 blended with TD12 to birth one certain K-named storm.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center