Clark
(Meteorologist)
Fri Jun 01 2007 06:07 PM
Re: 2007 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins Today

Well, recon is on its way, at 25.1N and 86.8W in the last report I saw. Based upon visible satellite imagery, I'd place the center just south of 24N and along 86W right now, so I imagine they will fly NW-SE across the center for their first leg. It's not so much critical what sort of winds they find in the disturbance (marginal TD/TS it seems right now) as it is the temperature profile. The plane is flying a low-level mission about 1000ft off the surface of the ocean, where it is most likely to find a warm-core structure. If it finds one there, don't be surprised to see some sort of designation at 5p. It may also pull up to about 850 or 700mb to gauge the thermal structure and nature of the circulation there to help with that designation. Either way, it doesn't change what we can expect from this thing -- rain.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center