Random Chaos
(Weather Analyst)
Mon Aug 13 2007 02:35 PM
Re: Tropical Depression #4 Forms in Far Eastern Atlantic and West Caribbean Watching

Aboz,

Essentially we have a system growing out in the Atlantic. It's too soon to know what it will do, but almost all the models are strengthening it and taking it toward the US. It is still a week away from being a threat to the Windward islands. I wouldn't concern yourself too much until it's closer to the US.

Some models develop it into a strong storm heading into the gulf, others send it fish-spinning off into the north Atlantic. It is just too soon to know what it will do.

Models tend to be inaccurate before a system hits at least TS strength, and track is always inaccurate with tropical systems. I'd wait a few days, see what it's doing, and be ready in case it is a threat.

Also, welcome to the site! If you have questions about what the models mean, go ask them over in the (I'm guessing Ask/Tell or Forecast Lounge), rather than in the news thread.

-----

OUSHAWN:

Take a look at the vorticity data for track. It's too weak for the pressure contours to pic up on on most model sources.

For instance, look near the Yucatan tip: http://bricker.met.psu.edu/~arnottj/cgi-...;hour=Animation

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center