Brad in Miami
(Storm Tracker)
Thu Aug 16 2007 02:52 AM
Re: Dean And Erin

Re: Twizted Sizter's post re: Hebert box, in which he or she wrote: "9 out of 10 that pass thru impact S Fl...maybe Dean will be that 1 that misses if he passes thru it. Andrew & Betsy didn't pass thru & who can forget them? As an interesting aside based on the earlier spaghetti models they went thru the 2nd Hebert Box. The 2nd box only applies to a developing or moving storm before Oct 1.
Charley '04, Frances "04, & Wilma '05 were our most recent ones."

There is much confusion about the stastical meaning of the Hebert box (really, 2 boxes), but regarding the first box that you are discussing, it is absolutely NOT true that 9 out of 10 storms that pass through that box impact South Florida. It may be true that 9 out of 10 strong hurricanes that impact South Florida during August and September pass through that box (although I think the number is somewhat lower), but that does not mean that 9 out of 10 that pass through the box impact South Florida. In fact, I'm almost certain that fewer than half - maybe significantly fewer than 1/2 - that pass through th box do NOT affect South Florida.

I hope that clears that up a bit.

-Brad

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center