Hugh
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Thu Aug 16 2007 12:07 PM
Re: Dean

Quote:

A 10 mile Eye on a 75 mph Storm???
Recon is in for a surprise and a bumpy ride when the arrive this afternoon. Actually I think everyone might be a bit surprised... myself included.

Good morning Dan (and everyone else)... Actually the 8am advisory just upped the winds officially to 80mph. But still, a 10 mile eye for a cat 2 hurricane is unheard of, I believe, let alone for a cat 1 storm.

I will be a bit surprised by the recon info this afternoon - if it finds anything less than a strong Cat 2 or a Cat 3 hurricane. Given how rapidly Dean *appears* to be strengthening - from looking at the IR loop and the size of the eye - the islands are in for much more than they might have initially anticipated. It's interesting, given Dean's small size, that just about ALL of the Lesser Antilles chain is under a tropical system watch or warning - be it a hurricane warning or watch, or a tropical storm warning or watch. Then again, looking at that IR loop, Dean is growing in size, too, to the south.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center