Storm Hunter
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Sat Aug 18 2007 05:01 AM
Re: Dean

Well.. looking at the sats.. it appears to me that the rapid intensification is over... notice in this image loop of cloud tops IR that it seems the system has vented all it can for the short time... notice how the cloud tops are warming and the eye appears to be shrinking on sats.. now that may be that high cirus is covering it up some, but usually i think its a sign of a contracting eyewall...

Clark, was the 85hz image was from 6pm cdt this evening?
I thought i noticed from one vortex to another after that... in little over an hour that the eyewall contracted about a mile... that seems like pretty big to me...in just an hour... (i may have read the data wrong)... but also noticed that the dewpoint dropped pretty good there for a few hrs inside the eye... I do think we will see a Cat 5 some time on Saturday... with another good run of intensification late saturday...

**Just looked at the hrd 1930Z surface wind analyses from todays data/invest...*** storm is a classic... Strongest wind region on the north to east side wrapping around.. **a decent region of the 100mph winds on that side too***

this is off the FTP... may not be able to view it? 1930Z

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center