Hugh
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sat Aug 18 2007 08:46 PM
Re: Dean v. Louisiana?

Quote:

I expected the 5pm to not reflect any changes... because there's been no plane out there for a few hours... Last report from recon in the center had the multiple eyewalls.... but looking at all available sats i have.. this systems is very impressive right now...

Thanks for the clarification, I thought they had recon in their continuously with the storm being so powerful. I noticed just now in re-reading the advisory, though, that the pressure is an estimate. Well, when the next recon does go in (tonight, I assume?)... it won't be a pretty report, from the standpoint of the shear power of this thing from looking at it right now. The ERC went by quicker than I expected, and for all intents and purposes, didn't weaken Dean at all. Now that it's apparently ended, it actually would surprise me if recon did not find a Cat 5. But, I said that this morning, and then the ERC happened.

Poor Jamaica. It's still possible that Dean may skirt north or south of a direct hit on the island (and likely, I personally think), but if that does not happen.... yes, I think they are very wise to evacuate aircraft. There is still time, but it will run out very quickly before much longer, and if Dean does indeed strengthen, it will only make matters more urgent.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center