StrmTrckrMiami
(Weather Guru)
Sun Aug 19 2007 11:33 PM
Re: Dean Approaches Jamaica

Quote:

Lois,

I respect your opinion, however must differ wholehardedly regarding your take on the Canadian Model. Polar opposite from the 'ol NOGAPS ( sadly neutered for several years now ), CMC strikes me as a tropical cyclone model on "crack" ( no offense to our Hudson Bay neighbors to the north ). To be fair, often times an Atlantic system WILL form and in fact picked up by the CMC model. That said, quite common an occurance would be the other 79 tropical systems forecasted to form by CMC simply only to end up as "ghost cyclones". For whatever the reason, I have found early season and end of season formation picked up with somewhat better accuracy by CMC.

In object fairness, I must admit that CMC has for several runs now been forecasting "the son of Dean" to form east of Florida, and then to slam into Central ( and now Southern Fla ). Up to today, there has been only slight hints of agreement from some of the other models, yet today a greater admission by some other models of at least a significant inverted trough approaching from the SE. Of course on satellite, one cannot deny that what appears to be 14 3/4 vorticity points all contained in one massive high amplitude wave, is in fact approaching 60W with some serious 29C octane fuel dead ahead. Even the European is "hinting" at something around days 6-10 near Fla.

As a fellow "model monger", I too check the CMC each run. I am looking for consistancy of runs, followed by some consensus by the other models, especially the UK and/or European. GFS has started to drop what it was detecting as a developing system east of Trinidad ( and there is a legitimate vort. here too ). Given the outflow shear from Dean, it would appear reasonable that something "could" form in the more convective area farther to the north where CMC is forecasting. Guess a few days to come will prove whether or not this "outlier" model was on to something or not. My guess would be to lean conservatively towards a strong wave to approach Florida in the 4-7 days to come, perhaps with some weak 1010mb spin-up towards the end of the cycle. Now that i've erred on the side of "blah", watch the 0Z runs tonight have four major models bringing the "son of Dean" upon Florida's doorstep!

Andy

Here in Miami, the winds have been strong today. We have also had a greater increase of cooler weather. My question is, is this a part of Dean? I would doubt that, however the radar here does show some sort of storm that is forming and is going to hit us in 4-7 days. Would you mind if you could tell me a bit more about this "storm" that you can see on the radar or CMC? What do you see happening? We do have some strange weather here going on right now.

Another Question, when I am looking at the radar here, what is that wierd blue thing that extends from Miami to Ft Lauderdale Area and goes off to sea?

http://radar.weather.gov/radar_lite.php?rid=amx&product=NCR&loop=yes

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center