weathernet
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Aug 19 2007 11:51 PM
Re: Dean Approaches Jamaica

April,

Well, I too am in S. Florida ( Broward Co. ). You are right in that the winds have certainly picked up quite a bit. In this case however, these winds are neither directly from Hurricane Dean, nor any "yet to verify storm". These winds, while not of Dean's circulation, certainly are being caused in part due to the tightening pressure gradient from higher surface pressures to our north, and Dean's lower pressure to the south. The combination of such a very fluid weather dynamic is simply a "squeeze play". Windy in part due to Dean, just not directly from Dean.

As for the blue line on radar, I did see that as well. This is a false return, and appears to merely be what I have always called a "radar sweep signal". These fast moving showers coming over Florida are ver shallow, most with tops under 15,000 feet. In order for local radar to pick up on these showers, the radar itself must be tilted much more towards the horizon. This would serve less a tool to measure the high tops of an afternoon Everglades severe storm with tops of around 50,000-60,000 feet. Doplar can better determine how severe a storm may be along with different level vorticities. When the radar is tilted as such, it then misses what might be many very shallow rain-showers such as what we are experiencing now.

I do not see any real evidence of any other storm forming at this time. Radar may only detect this if showing cyclonic turning ( which it is not ), and so far no other forming tropical cyclones in our neck of the world. Things could certainly change with time......

Andy

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center