weather999
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Sep 03 2007 12:02 AM
Attachment
Re: Watching Category 4 Hurricane Felix and Area off Georgia

Frankly, im not surprised that Felix is Cat. 4... recalling dean-there was a warm eddy south of hispanola that dean clipped-Felix passed very near/OVER this eddy (I have an image of the Aug. 16 carib sea water map in the attachment-If anyone can show me a link to the most recent images so i can bookmark the page, it would be greatly appreciated!)

If the latest recon (Extreme turbulence in NE eyewall, max sur. wind 163kt!-not sure that this is completely about this though)/dropsonde info is indeed correct-and Felix is continuing to strengthen, I would think we could have yet another Cat V monster (if an ERC does not take place) later tonight

Update-Wunderground has felix as 145kt monster... Officially Cat 5!

And from the NHC Discussion:

"BECAUSE OF THE EXTREME TURBULENCE AND
GROUPEL THAT THE AIRCRAFT EXPERIENCED...THE MISSION IS BEING
ABORTED AND THE AIRCRAFT IS RETURNING TO ST. CROIX."

I've never heard of a mission being aborted-is this the first time? I believe in Wilma they climbed higher to lessen turbulence-but was it aborted?

The CDO is extremely symmetrical when viewed on satellite, IMO, Dvorak shows it best.

Finally, I a mistake from the E. Pac. TWO:

"THE REMNANT LOW OF FORMER TROPICAL DEPRESSION GIL IS LOCATED ABOUT
925 MILES WEST-SOUTHWEST OF THE SOUTHERN TIP OF BAJA CALIFORNIA.
REGENERATION OF THIS SYSTEM IS EXPECTED."

Gil=remnant low forecast to dissipate-lol.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center