Hugh
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Fri Sep 21 2007 02:33 AM
Re: Gulf of Mexico System

Wow... I'm seeing a low-level circulation with convection wrapping around it on the Tallahassee radar.
I guess I'm blind. Looks like a dead ringer for a subtropical storm to me. The 5:30pm TWO basically said the only thing lacking in calling it a subtropical depression/storm was convection, and that has built up tonight.

I'll buy that logic on the strong winds, Storm Hunter.... BUT... I have seen systems with a lot LESS convection near the center (or at all) that were maintained... so I don't understand why this system is not considered organized enough to be called STS Jerry (consistency!).

Edit: The 10:30pm TWO is out. It says no significant change, yet goes on to say "but bands of heavy squalls are forming to the north of the center"... which I think is a significant change. The TWO does say that tropical storm watches and warnings could be promptly required for the area on Friday... like that's not obvious. In fact, reading the TWO, it's as if they EXPECT it to pull the trigger at any time.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center