Lee-Delray
(Weather Master)
Wed Oct 31 2007 04:08 PM
Re: Notes from satellite observations

Lois

I think the reason they are calling it a High Wind Warning and not a Tropical Storm Watch is actually a legal issue. For a High Wind Warning no one has to close their busness', but a TS warning I think you have to. The municipalities would also have to use their EOC's as well. It's very expensive and inconvenient for 40 mph winds and an inch or so of rain. Also, a TS warning tends to create a panic.

Everyone keeps speaking of Charlie. Punto Gorda was in the 3 day cone and under a Hurricane Warning. Punta Gorda was also on the east side of a hurricane, wher SF is on the west side of a TS.

I think the NHC is doing the right thing, for now. They are saying a TS Warning may come.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center