HanKFranK
(User)
Fri May 30 2008 10:09 PM
dropped?

this is fuzzy territory, but alma is still 'there' as far as i'm concerned. there is a closed low now off belize that was on alma's previous track... it may not be "exactly" alma, but is at least a spin-up vestige that formed offshore in it's broader circulation. interesting now, because it meets the general criteria for a tropical depression. i'm sure the nhc has some kind of 'not enough organized convection' argument against calling it a depression, but the yucatan is pretty much going to get just that. it doesn't look like the kind of situation where this thing will quickly spin back up, but it wouldn't surprise me too much.
do think they called it too early. this is likely to be another case where there are no more advisories, but the nhc's post-analysis later will pencil in a significantly longer track for the system months later. remnant lows are pretty much depressions when they move back over water and have any convection to speak of, because gusty winds start to mix back down to the surface.
anyhow, the whole mess is keeping right of the forecast track pretty effectively. don't be surprised if it goes in higher in the yucatan and comes back out more over water in the bay of campeche. on another note the storm has moved faster than anticipated in general, so it wouldn't be surprising if it really does turn southwest and finally go away, rather than hovering near the yucatan for days on end.
HF 2309z30may

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center