Hugh
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Jun 01 2008 01:58 PM
Re: Tropical Storm Arthur Starts 2008 Atlantic Season

Quote:

Apparently, Arthur is being maintained as a tropical storm due to this GOH weather (which may be enough to to consider it a relocation if a new surface center does evolve in the Gulf of Hondoras). Likewise, if the surface center is tracked to dissapation and a new center forms in the GOH, I wonder if the NHC would be forced to move onto the letter B based on their established naming rules. Interesting...

I had not considered the naming issue, because, well, I just hadn't thought about it, but you bring up a good point of discussion, at the least. It would not be the first time I LLC had reformed and forced the NHC to track a named storm from a different location... so in that respect, assuming the NHC isn't so naiive as to track the remnant low to dissipation when the new low is already in the formative stages, the name Arthur would be maintained. IF, however, the NHC does continue to track the "original" LLC to dissipation (which it seems like they are apt to do, from the 5am discussion), and THEN they decide to pick up on the developing low in the GOH... the naming would be a matter of significant debate, and largely one of timing. If a 6 hour span elapses between the discontinuance of advisories on "Arthur", and the issuance of advisories on "GOH System", I could see the NHC deciding (incorrectly, in my opinion) that the system was a new entity and warranted designation as "TD Two"/"TS Bertha". This could lead to a bit of a comical post-season analysis, where someone finally determines that Alma underwent not one, but two, sex/name changes.

ETA: 11am advisory downgrades Arthur, and says the circulation center is difficult to locate. *sigh*... try looking in the Gulf of Honduras.

ETA2: Is it just me, or is the GOES satellite down? SSD is not up-to-date.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center