Hugh
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Mon Jul 07 2008 10:48 PM
Re: Hurricane Bertha Forms in Atlantic, Bermuda needs to Watch

Bertha's rapid intensification in defiance of the official forecast didn't surprise me, because I saw it coming via the satellite presentation. The impact of the shear on the intensity forecast appears to have been significantly overstated in the models and the official forecast. Motion, however, seems to be on track based upon the forecast, which just goes to show that the NHC has a good handle on where hurricanes are going to go in the short term, but still is a long way from being able to forecast intensity. From here on out, I don't expect Bertha has peaked quite yet, and with T-numbers continuing to climb, it would not surprise me to see Bertha with 140+mph winds by morning, before leveling off due to EWRCs.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center