typhoon_tip
(Meteorologist)
Wed Jul 09 2008 03:24 AM
Re: Major Hurricane Bertha Now Moving Northwest

Quote:

Actually I think that you have made two good observations. The convective flareup appears to be to the south and southwest of the center, although pinpointing the center on IR imagery is always difficult. At 09/00Z I think that the center was around 23.0N 55.4W which would indicate more of a west northwest movement over the past three hours. Since the steering currents are quite weak, it could be just a temporary thing - or its also possible that the ridge to the north may have strengthen somewhat and the trough might have weakened somewhat. It will take a few more hours of observation. Also possible that the flareup itself nudged a slightly more westerly component to the track direction, but all the more reason why Bermuda needs to monitor Bertha's slow progress.
Cheers,
ED

Is it not true that track changes need 6 hours to confirm at the TPC? Am noticing that the 11pm discussion does not pick up on what seems to be a westward straddling of the 23rd parallel. I have also noticed a slowing of the forward motion. It does 'seem' upon satellite (IR, which as you said is difficult to use for these scenarios) that Bertha has resumed a more west motion. However, that could be 'optics' in that she burst convection somewhat, and the curl around the circulation makes the appearance of that west motion - though perhaps not really happening? Tough call.

John

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center