Hugh
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Mon Jul 14 2008 01:39 AM
Re: Bertha Stalls SSE of Bermuda, Watching Two Other Things

Quote:

Over the past several hours convection has gone from light, moderate and scattered to widespread and deep, and now appears to be blowing up over an incipient LLC.

I was just about to note that, too. The hint of a circulation that I mentioned earlier, is still there... and it's looking very impressive right now, overall. Rapid movement could slow its development, but that didn't hamper Bertha's development at all. Generally when the NHC says something like "A tropical depression could form at any time", they're looking for something very specific that they haven't seen yet. If the current apparently organization continues overnight, I believe advisories may be initiated as early as 5am, when visible imagery should be available.

The long-term model tracks for this system are extremely disconcerting. GFS and GFDL imply an eastern seaboard threat, while LBAR and BAMM indicate a South American impact. BAMD, which is the most up-to-date model on WU, splits the difference, taking the system straight through the central Caribbean, on a path toward Jamaica.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center