Storm Hunter
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Tue Jul 22 2008 05:27 AM
Re: HDOB Wind Speeds

AF Recon is going through Dolly right now...

and i agree with others... that the TUTT over SBOC could have caused the disruption to Dolly... which is a good thing... keeping it weaker.. but as other's have noted.. i think the surface and mid level are about to hook up and Dolly is going to make a run at becoming a hurricane in the next 12hrs.. its looking better with time now... and i do think Dolly is starting to slow in forward speed... I REALLY THINK the G-IV data from this afternoon was what finally made NHC/HRD say that the upper levels weren't really perfect... but were close...

FOR THOSE INTERESTED... here's what i was thinking.. and a good drawing by Dr. Jeff Masters proves it..
Dry air from the Yucatan, thanks to the TUTT

Quote:

For those of you viewing the HDOB messages. AF 308 is preparing to take off from Keesler. They transmitted a test SMFR wind speed of 87 knots. This is a test and not an actual wind speed.

I think from what i heard... that when they turn on the SMFRt on in the back... and its not meant to be used over land... its actually getting the airspeed to the aircraft... the waves are hitting land and caculating aircraft speed?

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center