Lamar-Plant City
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Aug 16 2008 12:20 AM
Re: Watching the Wave Near Puerto Rico

Quote:

If the forecast track verifies, the center would be near Punta Gorda on Tuesday afternoon as a strong TS or minimal hurricane. Given the record of the intensity forecasts so far this year and the very warm eastern Gulf waters, I'm a bit wary that Fay may be much stronger than currently forecast. I'll be on high alert for the duration, now.

Michael, I would have to echo your sentiments here. I was quite surprised after a LONG day getting prepped for Open house tonight and the start of school on Monday, to get home, click on the NHC and find the center of a hurricane cone passing DIRECTLY over my location. OK...I have followed these things long enough not to get too hyper about that 'cone' at this point. Still a jolt like a Cuban espresso! I, too have not been impressed with intensity forcasts this season at all. Checking the southeastern GOM water temps, this thing will have a LOT of heat fuel to work with, especially if it hangs a bit south of Cuba. Also, do not downplay how the interaction with land can pull weaker systems off of the best model quidance tracks. I would say that everyone from the eastern Bahamas to Louisiana needs to watch this closely until the models are in significantly better agreement.......if it gets into the Fla Straits due south of the Keys (as the current forcast suggest), all bets are off on intensity!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center