Brad in Miami
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Aug 17 2008 07:40 PM
Re: Fay Continued, Hurricane Watches Extended Northward

Quote:

Quote:

The line represents a 2/3 chance of where the eye(or center) of the storm will go. The cone represents the variance of areas as to where the eye will go.

No, not correct . . . maybe off topic - and I apologize if it is - but I think important to clarify for anyone relying on that statement. The NHC certainly is not saying there is a 2/3 chance of the center of the storm traveling along "the line." I think you may be referring to some comments from someone at the NHC yesterday which, if I'm correct, were to the effect that there is a 2/3 chance that the center will travel SOMEWHERE in the "cone" (which even implies a 1/3 chance the center will not only be far from "the line," but will be outside "the cone"). Obviously, the 2 are very different.

Even if the "2/3 chance in the cone" is not correct - and I don't think that's actually the definition of the "cone" on the NHC's own site - the NHC does not yet have the ability to predict this storm, or likely any storm, with that much precision, i.e., to predict with 67% accuracy a line along which the center will travel that far out in time or distance.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center