dem05
(User)
Mon Aug 18 2008 05:09 AM
Re: Fay crossing

I agree with your synopsis. The link provided a few posts above of the Cuban Radar is the same one I was watching. The Surface Circulation of Fay remains to the SW of the primary convection and over the Carribean. Interaction with the Upper Level Low has led to a decouple at the mid levels for the time being. The Key West radar images will pick up the mid level circulation through line of site (thanks to the curvature of the earth). What the key west radar is missing is the surface feature that is Fay herself. With the mid level ciculation moving over Cuba and the surface looking relatively stationary, I would not expect a reformation under that area...especially considering that the mid level center seems to be decoupling more and more and heading toward some pretty tall mountains. The thunderstorms approaching the radar, and affiliated with the mid level circulation are faily strong. Once they pass the radar site, the resolution of the surface circulation over the Caribbean will improve somewhat. Rain fade is impeding that view slightly right now. It will be interesting to see what happens during this decouple. Sometimes, the surface organization of a system is "re-accomplished" and the system gets it's act back together. Other times, it's a death sentance and a system never recovers. Time will tell, but a decouple plus land interaction may mean a 50-50 shot that Fay will reorganize or remain very weak. Fay may have gotten too close to the upper level low to become a significant feature in the Carribean, but will likely remain a storm to watch in the Florida Straits and SE GoMex.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center