Brad in Miami
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Aug 18 2008 06:01 AM
Re: Cuban radar

Quote:

This particular radar site seems to gve a better view of the MLC cluster rotating around the broad LLC.

http://www.insmet.cu/Radar/02I.Juventud/pdeMAXw01a.gif

At least that what appears to be happening. IF... Fay crosses Cuba at her present location... and that's a huge IF.
There will be a large number of surprised faces on the Florida East Coast and in the Bahamas

CORRECTION TO PARAGRAPHS BELOW: link now (203 am) shows continual images, which make it easier to see, and still suggests, in my opinion, all the convection could just be above an MLC rotating around a broad LLC to the west/southwest - as Daniel suggested. So yeah, there may have been a more northward component or re-formation, but this radar still makes it appear that all that convection is not above the LLC.

HERE'S WHAT I WROTE BEFORE CORRECTING, IF IT'S HELPFUL AT ALL:
Take a look at the Cuban radar site Daniel posted above. Unfortunately, there's about an hour and fifteen minute to 1:30 gap between radar images which makes it even more difficult to guess what's going on, but the latest images do show a bit more support for the idea/educated guess that some are throwing around that there could be - nothing certain, not from this radar image - either a more northward motion or center re-formation. Whereas the earlier images suggested - as Daniel stated - the broad LLC decoupled from the MLC (with the bulk of convection) others focused on, the later images are more inconclusive.

This is, however, a VERY limited tool, and I do NOT think it definitively shows a re-formation or more northward motion; it merely supports the idea that I don't think we can discount that theory.
As others have written, recon may give a better picture, but we may even have to wait till the NHC sees some visible satellite images to get a definitive answer.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center