Storm Hunter
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Mon Aug 18 2008 06:29 AM
Re: Posts

THEY MUST OF ISSUED THE 2AM WITHOUT RECON DATA... which means... the first statement... "...FAY NEAR THE COAST OF CUBA..." the flight director had to have called NHC via Sat phone to let them know there inbound, but based on the airborne radar... the center is close to the coast... i expect will get the data in the next 10 mins or so... of location, etc.

"AT 200 AM EDT...0600 UTC...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM FAY WAS
ESTIMATED NEAR LATITUDE 21.9 NORTH...LONGITUDE 81.1 WEST "

"ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 1001 MB...29.56 INCHES."

got to be to close to the coast to get a good data

BASED on recon data i just looked at... they flew to the south of the center on an ESE heading... which i don't think they sampled the center... i don't see anything in the flight level winds that would show they were close... they stayed about 35 miles off the coast... would love to see them turn north bound right now!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center