Hugh
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Fri Aug 22 2008 03:28 AM
Re: Fay Loves Central Florida

Well, I am now under a Tropical Storm Watch, almost... it's hairy, at least. The watch goes to Destin, and I'm almost due north of Destin, although the NWS Mobile site does not mention the watch for my area. The local forecast DOES call for 35mph winds beginning Saturday and into Saturday night, and the official NHC forecast has Fay VERY near me (within .1 degree) at 7pm Saturday (CDT) as a 40mph storm. Obviously if she moves south of the forecast track and strengthens, that could mean more impact (due to a stronger storm) or even less (due to a further south track)... but I expect warnings and watches to continue to be shifted west as Fay moves in this direction.

Trivia question: Assuming Fay does move into the GOM again and head far enough west, it's increasingly likely that the ENTIRE state of Florida will ultimately have been placed under a tropical storm watch or warning (or hurricane watch/warning), for a single storm. Has this ever happened before? I believe as it stands now, the only area that has not already been placed under an alert during Fay's trek is the area west of Destin.. and that will likely change by Saturday.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center