Terra
(Storm Tracker)
Fri Aug 29 2008 09:34 AM
Re: parade time

It's almost like my body is back in the swing, waking me up at 4 to take a look at the 5am updates. Geez...

Although Gus managed to hold himself together pretty well, the pressure is up to 991, which doesn't make Gus all that much stronger than Hanna. But, as soon as he clears Jamaica, we'll have to see what happens. The NHC track has shifted a little more to the west. Some of the models seem to be tracking more to the west, as well, which probably correspond to that high over the Ohio Valley. But, of course, it's still too early to tell when all of these are going to come into play. I love how the discussion says, "There is a complicated evolution to the steering currents around Gustav during the forecast period." No kidding, right? It's mentioned in the discussion, and evident from the sats, that Gustav seems to be getting fatter.

Hanna has finally increased her windspeed. but looks like a poorly organized blob on the sats. Hanna has some shear issues that don't appear to be going away very soon. But, then again, she still has plenty of time to get her act together, so you can't rule her out yet.

I definitely agree with the post earlier about the activity level of the tropics... A little too much activity for me!

An aside.... I like to look back at previous model predictions to see which model (if any) predicted the current motion. And, from that, maybe I can say that one particular model does a better job than another at forecasting one particular storm. Anyway, looking at Clark's spaghetti plot of the models, specifically the 0Z 8/28 run, every model had Gustax going north of Jamaica (things are more evident if you go further back, but I wanted to get the closest picture I could). That was forecasting like 12/24-hours out.... The current models are forecasting several days out. I don't really have a lot of confidence in the guidence at this point....

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center