berrywr
(Weather Analyst)
Sun Aug 31 2008 11:03 PM
Re: curvature of the earth

The 11 am discussion today made this very reference; the recon mission into the hurricane reported the center SW of what appeared to be an elliptical eye to the reported center's NE. That "eye" has been there all day with convection to it's west and south with a 20 knot southerly shear and that movement has been a pretty consistent 320 vector all day. I have had the center of this stomr NE of their positions all day today and again as of 5:15 pm ET when I had Gustav at 27.1N 87.1W which is 42 miles further north. I took into account the time of the satellite images, and the RAMDIS Rapidscan which those images are updated once every 7 minutes. The good news is, if the structure of Gustav remains as is, NOLA will be spared the drenching rain given it's lack of it on the east side and by the time it slows down, it will be far enough away it won't matter; that doesn't help W LA and E TX and AR, but who gets spared is always at the expense of who don't.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center