Hugh
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sat Sep 06 2008 11:13 AM
Re: Hanna Approaches Carolinas, Ike Remains Major

It's pretty bad when you wake up and think "great news... it's only forecast to be a Cat 3 in 5 days"! Yet that was my thought as I looked at the 5am forecast advisory on Ike. Then, I read the discussion...
I don't mean to sound alarmist, but this could be very bad news so quickly on the heels of Gustav. Since Gustav did not strengthen after it went over Cuba, people may be less inclined to believe intensification forecasts for Ike should it move over Cuba... and of course, there's no way to know for sure how Ike will be impacted by Cuba even after the fact because every storm is different. The only thing that is becoming clearer is that Ike is destined for the Gulf.

Edit: It also looks like Ike has decided to blow up size-wise ovenight.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center