WPB Ken
(Registered User)
Sat Sep 06 2008 10:30 PM
Re: Drops

Quote:

snips
I had a crazy idea.

Here is the theory. The news media knew that hurricane ike was going to go south of florida long before they reported it because as long as they keep reporting that a major hurricane is going to hit florida then people will keep tuning in to their stations and giving them better ratings.
snips
so what does everybody think about that??

I dont know, call me crazy, but in a way, it kinda makes sense.

I'll have to call you crazy. I've been in the ink-slinging business since the middle 60s and we're not that smart. TV and the web sites love storms because they DO drive eyeballs, but the media doesn't have a better crystal ball than NHC.

I know.

I chased 13 hurricanes and misjudged landfall in all of them. Of course, that was before The Weather Channel and the wall-to-wall tracking info we have today. Back then, you'd look at the weather reports, hop a plane or jump in a car and head to your best guess.

NASA, on the other hand, MIGHT have had better guessers. After all, they DO deal in Rocket Science.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center