Fairhopian
(Weather Watcher)
Wed Aug 18 2010 12:30 AM
Re: Basin On Hold Again

Quote:

As for our departing Ex-TD5 it looks better over land than it did over water. I look forward to reading the post-analysis on this system when the season closes out later this year.

I would have to agree with you, Bill. Ex-TD5 does tend to look better over land. One thing in particular which seems to be happening though, in the midst of the remnant convection, is that there are now at least two COC's. To hearken back to my earlier question (Will this system curve North (again) as the models all indicated, or could it curve South?), maybe the answer is "yes" to both possibilities. This is where I prove just how amateur I really am . . . but, looking at the Wundermap radar loop out of Baton Rouge (with storm tracks "on"), it almost looks like a Fujiwara phenomena has been going on for several hours now between the COC in extreme Southwest MS and the COC near Lafayette. Maybe the two COC's will eventually "repel" each other in opposite directions, even though they are both associated with the same broad low. I am just using "Fujiwara" as an analogy, not an analysis. All I have really been doing is watching two persistent vortices parallel each other on radar for a while now. While they appear to have separate bands of convection, their "arms" seem to almost be connected like plastic monkeys in a barrel. Yet the two COC's are obviously at odds with each other as well, because a fairly intense thunderstorm from NW to SE has stayed fired up for hours along their border where their opposite direction winds collide. What are the chances of this broad low splitting?

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center