danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Tue Aug 02 2011 02:55 AM
Re: Tropical Storm Emily Forms in Far Eastern Caribbean

It appears that the westward movement is keeping her alive. Based on the SAL dry air to the north of the storm.
Lois referred to the 'green' on the Funk Top satellite enhancement. I've included the latest Funk Top shot below. It basically indicates the towering higher cloud tops.

The mid/ upper level of Emily should have cleared the mountainous terrain of the Islands, for the most part. The current Center appears to be in the doughnut shaped area to the left of the Green or Blue. Depending on which shot you are viewing.

What is strange is the indentation on the western/ front side of Emily. I believe that the storm is ingesting dry air at some level leaving the satellite signature looking like the cookie monster took a bite out of the western side of Emily.
It's evident on all of the imagery that I have looked at tonight.

Dry air entrainment at it's best. Once Emily moves the main convection into the Eastern Caribbean the flow across Puerto Rico should diminish some of the dry air. Unless she turns NW.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center