danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Tue Aug 02 2011 07:08 PM
Emily

I'm seeing fairly rapid pressure falls at the buoys over the last 3 hours. I almost looks like someone threw a switch and turned on a vacuum.

I'm still not sure the storm will pass over Hispaniola. Possibly the western tip of Haiti and Eastern Cuba. Winds, based on the latest SHIPS model. Should be in the 55 mph range. But homes in Haiti aren't necessarily built for those winds. And quite a large number of people are still without decent shelter since the Earthquake.

Latest SHIPS model indicates the shear and most of the other inhibiting factors should decrease or drop in 6 hours. I believe this will coincide with Dmin, or the diurnal minimum in a storm cycle. Weaker or fewer thunderstorms.
We will have to wait and see what happens then.

See Clark's answer to the definaition of D max and D min.
http://flhurricane.com/cyclone/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=25541&an=0&page=1#25541

If you live on the Florida Peninsula you may want to go over your Hurricane Plan. And check the fuel, water and grocery supplies. Just in case.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center