Hugh
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Aug 21 2011 10:55 PM
Re: Tropical Storm Irene Enters the Northeastern Caribbean Sea

Quote:

Recon confirmed the 996mb reading too, and roughly 60MPH winds. It will likely be a rough night in Puerto Rico for those there. I think that's the first time recon has taken off from literally within the center of a tropical system. That will go down in their books for sure. It looks like the NHC's track at least the next two days is going to be spot on.

The system is looking very healthy on the PR radar.

Radar shows at least half of an eyewall has formed (on the east side of the LLC). If what I'm seeing in terms of motion on the radar continues, the entire island will be on the bad side of the storm. I'm frankly surprised that the recon was able to take off - did they go STRAIGHT UP to get above the storm? If not, they had to fly through some very nasty stuff indeed (not compared to a major hurricane, of course, but flying through the eye of a hurricane is one thing... flying up through the eyewall of a developing storm seems a bit more risky).

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center