berrywr
(Weather Analyst)
Fri Aug 16 2013 06:52 PM
Re: Watching Waves in Caribbean and East Atlantic

Ed, check out the RAMBIS page and visible imagery - the low level center is completely exposed and moving due west. I looked at the water vapor and as the models have been forecasting the upper level low to fill and be absorbed by the larger longwave trough which its axis is now extended as far south as Houston, TX. Last night, the GFS at 850 millibars took one piece of energy into the Northern Gulf Coast and the other west. There wasn't enough at 500 millibars for me to gauge anything moving west. 92L is likely too shallow for any of us to rely on the global models for the time being. The evolving longwave trough over the southern tier of the United States makes anything tropical approaching the US one unlikely and two, not likely to be pure tropical not with winds aloft in excess of 70 knots. A system moving west still could be absorbed by the main trough if it becomes more vertically deep otherwise, it has a date with the Mexican coast but not likely anything more than a weak storm. I was not aware of the page NHC mentioned in the discussion but I did look it up and here it is: http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis/online/tropical.asp

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center