Ed G
(Weather Hobbyist)
Fri Aug 30 2019 09:17 AM
Re: Hurricane Prep List

My generator will not be used and will remain in the garage until after the storm passes...at which point it will go into a garden shed in my back yard. The generator has a 50 foot, 10 gauge, 4 prong, NEMA rated extension, and is plugged into receptacle mounted to the back of my house. The receptacle is wired with 8 gauge to the 6 circuit transfer switch. The transfer switch is mounted in my garage next to the circuit breaker panel. All 6 circuits are 120.

I have read that in order to keep the fridge cool, one only needs to power up the fridge for an hour at different time intervals. I'm just curious if anyone knows what intervals work the best. Every 4 Hours. 6, 8 ?

It's a really nice generator - a Westinghouse WGen9500. Runs on gasoline or propane. 7500 running watts. Has a remote! I can start the generator from inside the house. I will only use gasoline as a last resort.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center